Los Angeles, CA
|Team: Los Angeles Angels, Hollywood Stars (1926-35)||Opening Day: September 29, 1925|
|First MLB Game: April 27, 1961||Last MLB Game: October 1, 1961|
|Demolished: 1966||Capacity: 20,457|
|Dimensions: LF 340 CF 412 RF 338.5||Cost: $1.1 million|
|Architect: Zachary Taylor Davis||Construction: A. Lanquist|
Chewing gum king, William K. Wrigley, Jr., also owner of the Chicago Cubs, purchased the Los Angeles Angels for $150,000 in 1921. He started building this park in 1924 and it opened in 1925. This park was designed, by the same architect, with the idea that it would be similar to Wrigley Field. It had a California style though with the red roof and white facade. This park was the original Wrigley Field, named in 1925 with the Cubs changing park names in 1926. The park had outfield seats that angled towards home which made for short power alleys and more home runs. In 1961, the only year this park was used by a major league team, 248 home runs were hit here. This record still stands. This park was double-decked between the foul poles and had bleachers in right. Left field had a 15 foot high wall with ivy growing on it. Sound familiar? One of the most prominent features was the 150 foot, nine story, clock tower. In 1957, Phil Wrigley sold the team and stadium to Walter O'Mally, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers for $3 million and the rights to the Dodger's Fort Worth team in the Texas League. Even though O'Mally said he would keep the Angels, buying the team had given him territorial rights which paved the way for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Originally there were plans for double decking left and right fields with center field bleachers for the Dodgers, but it never materialized. This stadium was abandoned in 1958 with the Angels moving to Spokane, Washington and the Dodgers playing at Memorial Stadium.
In 1961, MLB awarded an expansion franchise to Los Angeles. The Angels were reborn and played one season here before moving on to Dodger Stadium. With this park abandoned again it was torn down in 1966.
© 2006-17 Paul Healey. Older picture © its owner.