The site was used for recreation for many years. The field was first laid out in 1916. In 1931, the Works Progress Administration (WPA), funded the construction of the wall and grandstand in this park. Bricks from two demolished factories in town were used to build this park. A grandstand for baseball was built in 1921 and demolished in 1991. Both Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig played in exhibition games. The Boston (now New England) Patriots held their first scrimmage here.