In the latter part of 1901, owner Fred Lake, secured some land at the Atherton Grounds in Tewksbury (which would later be annexed into Lowell in 1905). He built a covered ballpark and named it Spalding Park. Spalding Park is named after A.G. Spalding, who was the most powerful man in baseball. He played some games in Lowell for the Boston Red Stockings and Chicago White Stockings twenty-five years earlier. He later went on to build an eponymous sporting goods empire. When he learned that the park was named after him, he sent Lake some free baseballs. This park wasn't perfect either as it was located on the edge of town and difficult to get to. In 1906, the Tigers moved closer to downtown. In 1911, the team was sold to Andrew Roach and James J. Kennedy who moved the team back to its old haunts. The park needed to be fixed up after a fire. When the Grays went out of business in 1916, the City of Lowell took control of the park and moved its high school games there. Later on, other professional teams would rent this park from Lowell. In 1996, Clyde Smoll, owner of the Elmira Pioneers, moved his team to Lowell after he was promised a new park. Lowell spent $600,000 to renovate the field and make it acceptable for minor league baseball, even though an exemption needed to be obtained since the right field foul pole is only 276 feet from home. The newly named Spinners spent two seasons here waiting for LeLacheur Park to be built. This park is still used by a college wooden bat league.
Much of this information was gathered from an article written by Chaz Scoggins.© 2008 Paul Healey.