San Diego, CA
|Team: San Diego Padres||Opening Day: March 31, 1936|
|Capacity: 9,000 - 12,000||Closing Day: September 8, 1957|
|Dimensions: LF 339 CF 480 RF 355, LF 329 CF 426 RF 330||Demolished: 1958|
The park was originally a Navy athletic field in 1925. Bleachers were installed in 1927. In 1936, when Bill "Hardrock" Lane moved the Hollywood Stars in 1936, San Diego struck a deal wih the Works Project Administration to rebuild the field for $20,000, with the city contributing $4,000. It opened without a roof, lights, or backstop. The backstop was only twelve feet from the plate, so passed balls would often bounce back to the catcher. In the 1950's, it was discovered that first base was only 87 feet from home. If this park was not torn down, it would have neen eaten by termites.
© 2011-17 Paul Healey. Older picture © its owner.