|AKA: Mayo Island Park||Dimensions: LF 294 CF 400 RF 356|
|Capacity: 4,200||Opening Day: March 25, 1890|
|Lights: 1933||Fires: 1924, May 25, 1941|
Even though this park opened to positive reviews (the Richmond Times Dispatch called the grounds "firm"), local restauranteur, Charles "Squire" Donati's team, the Giants, only lasted one season. Baseball finally returned to Mayo Island in 1921, and it would stay, consistently, for twenty years. The Great Depression was very difficult on Richmond baseball, but former shortstop, Eddie Mooers, who ran a successful auto dealership, purchased the club and paid its debts. He moved the club to the Piedmont League. The park was renamed after local baseball hero Pop Tate. Mooers installed lights in 1933, and this saved the team. An interesting side note, in 1934, the majority of minor league teams had lights in their parks. They were installed out of financial necessity. The bigs played exclusivly day games in 1935. A fire forced Mooers to move his team in 1941.
© 2012-17 Paul Healey.