|Team: Hustlers (1924-28), Warriors (1929-30), Keys (1989)||Year Built: 1924|
|Cost: $15,000 (1924) $200,000 (1974)||Dimensions: LF 348 CF 600 RF 506 (1924)|
|Capacity: 2,500 (1924) 1,500 (1974)|
In 1924, Dr. Ira McCurdy, headed up a fund raising committee to build a baseball park in Frederick. McCurdy field opened with 1,300 grandstand seats and 1,200 bleacher seats. There was a ten foot high fence around the huge (look at dimensions above) playing field. In 1937, the NFL's Washington Redskins (just relocated from Boston) needed a place to play their first exhibition, and they played here. In 1943 and 1944, the Philadelphia Athletics held spring training here (due to the limits on war time travel). Lights were installed in 1947. In 1968 the old wooden grandstand was condemned and torn down in 1971, leaving just the field, and a poor home for Frederick youth and amateur baseball.
Deciding that this was a poor site for baseball, Bob Marendt headed a campaign to renovate this park. He raised $50,000 in donations, and federal and state government kicked in the rest. A renovated concrete and steel park opened in 1974 with metal bleachers that sat 1,500 and clubhouse facilities. In 1989, when the City of Frederick lured the Hagerstown Suns, with the promise of a new stadium, they played one season here while Harry Grove Stadium was under construction. It was a poor facility for minor league baseball, as there had to be a trailer brought in for the team to dress in and folding chairs used for box seats, but the Keys drew well in their inaugural season. Currently this facility is used for Babe Ruth League baseball.
© 2010-17 Paul Healey.